Dec 22, 2006

Community? Where are you?

Last night I had a really good conversation with someone new. By really good, I mean ..really really good. Anyways, we had this fun conversation sort of complaining about the lesbians circles of michigan. This all started because as I started talking to her I was so amazed to learn things about her that seem to be void of the majority of the lesbian population here.... like the following:

-Reading (and no, I don't mean The Giver in middle school, or Magazines.. I mean BOOKS!)

-Caring about the state of the nation and the people in it - Politics, News, Current Events...you have no idea how many women I have met that don't know who the governor or our senators are. I met a woman once who didn't vote or know who our vice president was. to me , that is disgusting considering that so much of our livelyhood depends on the government right? Equal Rights.. Elections.. ect..ect.


I can't think of the others, I know there are more, but these are just the really important ones to me.

I long for a lesbian community that cares about real issues not just who is fucking who.. and when the next Ani concert is.

No comments: